>> HOUSTON, Jan. 18, 2002 – New research from University of Houston
>> scientists may lead to techniques for jump-starting the faulty
>> "wiring" in damaged nerve cells, and suggests possible avenues for
>> treating spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s disease

I am sort of Really, Really, confused with the above statement
especially for Parkinson's disease.
A similiar statement as above was made in University of Illinois that I
visited for a Parkinsons Seminar last summer that theorized that the
cells in the substantia niagra actually only needed rewiring to start
working.
I have been told and have read that 50%- 80% of cells in the substantia
niagra were supposed to be dead ( not damaged) before people would show
the symptoms of Parkinson's.  Yes, there apparently will be some cells
left in that part of the brain that will be alive and functioning. I was
further advised that when the brain cells in the substantia niagra die
they are disposed of by the body quite naturally. This statement has
been made by  Nuerologists  who have autopsied  people who have died
from Parkinson's, and from autopsied people who had Parkinsons and had
died prematurely through accidents.

While I can see the purpose rewiring in  parts of the body where cells
are damaged only- ie spinal cord injury etc., I  am sort of really
confused how it is going to help Parkinsons' per ce.

If 50%-80% of cells are dead and gone what are we gonna wire up?

One begins to wonder if Parkinson Disease is just thrown in to get
research funding easier and in the total long run what benefit will it
be to  Parkinsons' at all?  I am not against anyone getting research
funding for any disease or disability.  I am just really wondering if
this specific type research is really going to benefit Parkinsons  or
has Parkinsons been used to benefit this research,  and will it just
prevent the limited research funding from being available to be
allocated for other types of  Parkinsons research? (ie stem cell, or
other types of cell replacement, etc.)

Don
PD+    53/4