Date sent:              Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:19:26 +0000
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Shirley Alt <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                ultram
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> I talked with my neuro about my pain and lack of relief
> from any of the medications andI didn,t like the side
> effects. Thats when he put me on ultram & stated they
> were not addictive. I have had no side effects & have
> good pain relief. After Rich's e-mail I called two
> different pharmacies and both stated that ultram is a
> good pain med. & that it is not addicting. Also if your
> pain increases your need for higher dose would
> increase. I was told it is best not to take over 8 in
> 24 hr period. If you have any questions call your
> pharmacies. As I stated I take 1 or 2 ever 8 hrs and
> that is only when I am in pain. Ultram seems to work
> different than any thing I taken before when the pain
> is gone ,usually 3or4 days it doesn't come back until I
> do something to set it off. I take neuronton  800 mg
> tid for essential tremors since 97. I know of some
> friends who had strokes & took neuronton for pain with
> success but it doesn't help me. I am glad it helps
> you ,pain makes one feel so miserable.

From the Physicians Desk Reference, 1999 Edition, Page 2257:

"Ultram has a potential to cause psychic and physical dependence of
the morphine type.  The drug has been associated with craving, drug-
seeking behavior and tolerance development.  Cases of abuse and
dependence on Ultram have been reported.  Ultram should not be used
in opioid-dependent patients.  Ultram can re-initiate physical
dependance in patients that have been previousy or chronically using
other opioids.  In patients with a tendency to drug abuse, a history
of drug dependence, or are chronically using opioids, treatment with
Ultram is not recommended."

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"