--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Laura Eckart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:41:15 -0600

<<1. 2001 - Summary of Results
        A.      DoD  (Dept. of Defense) funding- NETRP (Neurotoxin Exposure
Treatment and Research Program ) funding - $2 million more than previous
year.  Last year's funding was 15 million- this year's funding will be 17
million.
        B.      NIH funding- Parkinson's Research Agenda - Unprecedented
language from Senate Report for Labor- HHS Appropriations! Chairman
Harkin
really championed this issue; the Parkinson's community owes him a big
thank
you.  PAN will have a tribute article in February newsletter.  The Senate
Language stated that NIH should fully implement the NIH's Parkinson's
Research Agenda and Directed the NIH to hold consortia (aka meetings) on
this issue.

9th and 10th in Washington, DC.  The meeting brought together Parkinson's
Researchers from across the nation to reprioritize the future of PD
research.  It as a good meeting, great first step.  We have met with
officials at NINDS and NIH and will continue to work closely with them
and
to push to ensure agenda is being fully implemented.

2. 2002 Action Agenda

        *       As called for by the NIH's own plan, fully funding the
$197.4 million increase over the baseline year for year three of the
NIH's
five-year Parkinson's disease Research Agenda for FY 2003, including
funding
translational and clinical research.

        *       Completion of the 5-year doubling of the NIH's budget - a
17.6% ($4.1 billion) increase in FY 2003.

        *       Continue and expand the Department of Defense's Neurotoxin
Program to $50 million for FY 2003.

        *       Continue and expand the Department of Veterans Affairs
Program for FY 2003.

        *       Support federal legislation and funding for stem cell
research and other regenerative technologies.

        *       Working with Members of Congress and staff to ensure that
NIH is implementing agenda and to make sure that stem cell lines are
available to researchers.

        *       FDA Reauthorization

        *       Udall Reauthorization Act

        Note: the VA has partnered with NINDs to hold a clinical trial on
DBS.  This trial will have 300 participants and be held at 6 VA centers
across the United States. I will send further information as I hear more.

3. Udall Centers Update:

                PAN recently visited 6 Udall Centers.  There will be an
article in our Feb. Newsletter that will describe in detail our visits. S

4. PAN Grassroots Program:

                PAN is beginning to announce State and Congressional
Coordinators for its grassroots program.   This year's forum will focus
primarily on the grassroots program and training for grassroots.

                New PAN website.  Will be ready by February 10th, 2002.
Will have a new software component.  This new package and website will
make
communication among the community much faster.  We are very excited about
the new site.

5. PAN Forum: - see 2nd forwarded message

Laura Eckart
Deputy Advocacy and Education Director
Parkinson's Action Network >>