The simplest explanation for this that I ever received (shaking vs. rigidity,
stuttering vs. soft speech, etc....) is this:

Envision the substantia nigra as a Supreme Pizza (with everything on
it).......80% of that pizza is missing/damaged when we are diagnosed with PD.
 I may be missing all of the pepperoni and some of the cheese.......you may
be missing most of the crust, but have all of the pepperoni left......someone
else has only mushrooms and tomato sauce, etc.  So we each have an individual
version of the 20% of the substantia nigra that is working.......hence
varying symptoms.

Rita