Believe it or not I am smiling here over the posting. I went to school
on Michigan Ave. in Chgo for fashion design, cosmetology, and later
speech language pathology in college. I have adapted clothing as I have
changed throughout the years. I hate hearing beauty is only skin deep.

here is what I do or should I say my nursing assistant does <smile>.

1) the nurse dries my hair and brushes it (approx. 3-5 mins). I blow dry
my hair in 4 clumps underneath.  My hair is around a round brush and I
dry it while resting my elbow on the sink counter top and hold my wrist
of the hand that is holding the dryer.
I have tried the hand held dryer and I knock them over.

When my hair gets very thin, I have baseball caps. I am going to make
some hot pink and red ones this Spring.

2.) I get dressed on the carpeted floor outside my bathroom , so the
bathroom can get clean and the nurse can help me put my bra or exercise
top when I need help. I put on my compression hose because they cost
120. a pair. Aides paychecks are high enough to cover them if they rip
them. They get ripped when a person pulls the waist band as oppose to
rolling them on the legs, ect. I am very thin so it is alot easier.

3. I have 4 closets full of shoes. loll hahaha Some are just slip on
type that I keep for when I dress up and in my wheelchair. I figured I
am not walking and I have to see my feet all night, I might as well see
pretty shoes. My legs are elevated.

We have tons of shoe outlets in Ohio and I used to be able to get the
100. for 10-20 a pair, so that is why I have so many. I do wear my ortho
shoes with dresses. My dresses are short enough so that they don't get
all tangled in my walker, wheels, or my legs.

As for my ugly ties shoes...I wear Rockport ( the style men wear) and my
favorites --(waldlaufer in red glittery shiny color or Gabor lady). I
have Drews for my leg braces. The rockports styles do not fit leg
braces.  New Balance tennies fit nicely too for when u wear shorts or
casual wear. Obviously, the more shoe lace holes in the shoe the easier
it is for the insole to be put into ur shoe or brace to go on your foot.
'Ya can't beat the custom insoles either. Medicare covers if ur
diabetic. I am not, and that is how I got that claim rejected. The next
pair a year later were covered. Go figure! The insoles have bulges where
my arches should be and push on the muscles to help from my ankles
getting over stressed and strained (my husband is an engineer and works
with plates and talks all day and night about stresses and strains on
bone, ect. loll) The insoles also have sides around my heel and  my
foot. The orthotic guy puts my foot into a styrofoam like material and
they use the foot mold to make the insoles. A left and right one. I also
have leg braces. They only came in white:( I wanted beige or black, but
no.   Medicare covers leg braces and even if u could afford it or u dare
want something that u want to spend ur own money on, u can not be billed
extra. Anyway......

I find I can not wear my SAS shoes anymore either because they are not
high enough by my ankle and the sole of the shoes is not quite thick
enough. They don't last long compared to my ugly tie rockports (sale 35
bucks reg 85.). I emailed rockport and  they hired a young new designer
from Hahn so 2002/2003 should show somewhat more fashion looking shoes
for dresses or suits. I told them that highly paid professionals look
for fashion too, so the market is there.

My clothes are mostly skirts and tops made out of that new stretch
fabric. Express Fashion , Limited, Lerner (all price ranges) and Penny's
clothes are the most durable and easy to put on and off. EBAY my husband
told me has the clothes for alot cheaper! I even sewed three plain
skirts last year! The nurse presses and helps me. It takes a few days or
weeks, but it is an activity we can do together and something I feel
proud of.

Button down dresses are good for cathing and tubes (medical).

I labeled all my drawers on the outside by color, so when a substitute
comes in they know where things are. Closets are arranged by summer and
winter, and sorted by skirts, tops , sleeve length, then color. They
don't have to spend their time nor mine looking through the closet. My
undergarments are in the bathroom, so less walking back and forth. The
garments are rolled. I learned that when I was in rehab. One tiny closet
(10 inches) and one night stand with 3 drawers is provided. I was there
only 12 days, so no use bringing furniture with. I also had therapy 3-4
times a day. It got me walking with a walker, so it is well worth it.
That is another story in itself........

See so no matter how old or ill a person gets, u can always make them
feel pretty. It is just a matter of self perception and fatigue level:)
Don't read into that statement please. People get frazzled with the word
'old' and I don't understand why.

nancy m.