Dear Colleagues,
   Recently my support group ( PSG@EH- Parkinson Support Group @ Emerson
Hospital-Massachusetts )had as a guest speaker a community oriented police
officer who didn't have much to say but asked for questions. So we asked the
usual questions about Disabled Parking spots, placards autorizing parking
privilege and the like but when it came to the police officer identifying a
PWP whom he may have stopped for,say a traffic violation, then the confusion
set in. What if the PWP was sluring his words and the cop thinks the PWP is
drunk.

    There is very little on PD and the police on the internet. I did find a
great paper on police training to deal with the disabled person with Autism
and another on Alzheimers but nothing on PD. It may not be relevent because
a good cop is a good cop and the really good ones will seek out the
opportunity to improve their skills but what about the more average officer?

    I told the guest officer that I would find some documents that might
help clarify how to identify and manage some one who is unable to clearly
communicate. Any of you have any thoughts?

     Thanks
          george