Since I no longer drive, I spend more time on public
transit and walking in downtown areas.  In addition to
having something to lean on during an "off time," my
family physician suggested that I use a cane as a "signal"
to others that I might have difficulties. I think that my
cane has probably saved me a lot of grief when situations
of slurred speech, difficulty getting money out of wallet,
& etc. have occurred in public.  People seem much more
patient anyway.  I think that it helps the police
make a quick appraisal about my situation.

I also wear a medical alert bracelet.  It has my name &
phone number on one side, Parkinson's Disease and address
on the other.

The police have always been helpful when coming across me
and my cane.  But I have noticed that the officers seem to
be much younger now (or is that just me getting older?).

Charley
50, diagnosed 1993