Supermario:

I believe I may have figured it out.

I sent two messages as a test to the list.  Reply test and Reply test 2.

The only difference in these messages was the settings in my accounts under
the TOOLS menu in Outlook Express.

I use Outlook Express.  Under the Tools menu, click on Accounts, then on
Properties, then chose the General tab.  In this window there is a place to
enter "reply address"  If I put my reply address there (Reply test 2), and
try to reply from the list to my own message, that address seems to override
the Parkinsn list.  If I leave that blank, then if I reply to my own message
to the list (Reply test), the automatic reply TO THE LIST appears.

It turns out that in setting up your accounts you should leave this entry
blank.  Only if you want replies sent to a different address than the one
you use to send it in the first place should you fill this in.  It is meant
for people who have two or more e-mail accounts to be able to direct the
replies to their messages to a single one.

The instructions say:

""""Specifies that you want replies to your outgoing messages sent to a
different e-mail address, which you can type here.
For example, you might send messages through one e-mail
[log in to unmask] specify that you want replies sent to
If you do not select this option, replies to your e-mail messages are sent
to the e-mail account from which you send them.""""

This setting seems to override the Parkinsn list settings for messages
coming from computers using that setting.

In sending this message I have made the correction and left the Reply
Address blank.

Jorge