I'm a medial student... The electrodes can be implanted in different
parts of the brain. The target is selected by the doctor according to
your particular symptoms, because each patient has different severities,
and different sites are more useful for controlling particular symptoms.
Side effects are quite common in my experience - but can usually be
managed by reducing the voltage or other settings; basically they are
caused by the stimulation spreading and affecting other unrelated nearby
parts of the brain. The type of symptoms you experience will therefore
depend on where your leads are, so may be different to other people's
experiences if they are implanted in a different place. Furthermore,
even if they are in the same place, the side effects can be extremely
variable because each person is different and highly variable (even a
difference of a few millimetres could make a big difference). Adjusting
the position of the electrodes is the last port of call- fiddling with
the stimulation settings will probably help to get rid of your ringing
ears. Get them to just try different settings with you; changing the
voltage and perhaps the reducing the poles used along the electrode
(usually there are 4 and the doctor chooses to stimulate between 2 of
them, so by using two poles closer together they stimulate a smaller
area). This may help, its all about weighing up the pros and
cons-maximising the benefits whilst minimising the side-effects.

Hope this helps,
Mark