Hello,

I haven't been on the list for a while. I've been busy salvaging my
employment. After cutting back to 80% of full-time, which helped, I am now
giving up my management position. The primary reason I am doing
this--actually two main reasons--are, one, I was doing a lousy job
(confirmed by my year-end performance review) and, two, personnel issues are
the most emotionally draining and stressful aspect of the job. Amazingly, my
organization is accommodating me all the way, so I will still be able to
work and contribute. My biggest problem is fatigue and lethargy.

Giving these things up is very difficult--all the stuff I've read about
downscaling at work creating feelings of failure and inadequacy, even shame,
are true! But I also know it is not only the right thing to do, I actually
have no choice but to be honest with myself and deal with the fact that I'm
less able to do parts of the job that used to come much more easily. That's
not to deny that it really sucks.

I'm sure a lot of you have gone through similar. I also have plenty to be
grateful for: supportive employer, long-term disability policy, great
co-workers, wonderful family.

Well, just checking in. Later,

Rick
Bellingham, Washington