Hi everyone.  I am 47 years old and newly diagnosed with PD.  Thank you,
Barbara Harrison, for setting up this subscriber service, which I learned
about through the book "When Parkinson's Strikes Early."  I have been
spending a lot of time on the Internet getting information about PD.  I'm
doing my best to cope, but am pretty terrified.  I'm looking forward to
getting to know a few of you, however, and sharing ideas and information.

My doctor wants to start me on Mirapex.  I am worried about the risk of
drowsiness and, particularly, of falling asleep at the wheel of my car.  I
understand this can be a problem with Mirapex, and with Parkinson's meds in
general.  I drive carpool everyday -- 10 miles of twisting mountain road with
200 foot cliffs on either side with two children in the back seat -- so I
have to be alert when I drive.  (I guess we all do, come to think of it!)   I
have read a new study on the subject ("Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and
Sudden-Onset Sleep in Parkinson's Disease" by Hobson -- came out in a January
issue of JAMA), but I'm interested in learning more.  Anyone with any info or
experiences that they want to share?

Also, anyone know of a good PD movement therapy or exercise class in the Los
Angeles area?  I could do anything from Santa Monica to Hollywood.   Right
now, I have a really nice set of PD home exercises, which come from the book
"Parkinson's Disease and the Art of Moving," by John Argue.   He has been
teaching PD exercise for 15 years in the San Francisco area, and is supposed
to get wonderful results.  I really like his book, but want to find a group
class as well, to supplement.

Hope to hear from you!
Best regards,

Anne