Sometimes it is just a matter of medical definition.  When a physician signs
a death certificate, he is usually asked to identify the immediate causes
and the predisposing causes.

Parkinson's Disease itself is not usually the IMMEDIATE cause of death, but
it certainly can set the stage up for fatal complications to arise.  These
complications - such as pneumonia, aspiration, urinary infection and sepsis,
malnutrition, falls with fatal complications, complications of surgery, are
all related to or caused by Parkinson's Disease.  But, medically speaking,
it is the complications which are the IMMEDIATE cause of death, with
Parkinson's Disease as the PREDISPOSING CAUSE for these complications.

Of course, one could argue that Parkinson's Disease is the cause, since the
complications would not arise were it not for the presence of PD.  It is
merely a matter of semantics, definition, and usage in the medical
community.  That is why, medically speaking, one distinguishes between
PREDISPOSING CAUSES and IMMEDIATE CAUSES.

As an example which does not involve PD.  A healthy individual suffers an
injury in an auto accident, which, over the next few days leads to an
infected wound, sepsis, circulation collapse, and death.  The injury and the
wound, by themselves, would not have been fatal were it not for the
infection and shock.  A properly filled death certificate would list the
immediate cause of death as shock and sepsis.  The predisposing cause is the
injury from the accident.  Of course, to the layperson not involved in these
technicalities, it was the accident which caused the death.

I hope that clarifies why Parkinson's Disease is seldom listed as the
immediate cause of death, and why statistics from death certificates are
unlikely to tell the whole story.

Jorge Romero