Jim, and list members

Veterans of this list may remember that i reported back in 1998 that i
was interested in DBS, and pursued the matter quite diligently then. I
was  experiencing extreme bouts of dyskinesia and in fact i was all set
to take part in one of the trials - in New York - when someone on the
list reported success in treating dyskinesia with amantadine. Up till
then, the prevalent belief was that amantadine was something to be used
in the early stages of the disease, to delay the use of sinimet. I spoke
to my neurologist, and she agreed to let me try it.
The results were nothing short of miraculous. Within a couple of days i
was so much better that i no longer qualified as a test subject for the
DBS trials.  I just didn't have enough symptoms anymore.

Well, i have been on and off  and on amantadine since then, and although
it is no longer as effective - or more likely, the disease has
progressed beyond the scope of the medication, i still have not reached
the point where i would consider surgery the only option. In the
meantime, there are many new medications on the market, and coming down
the pipeline, and also we have had more time to see how DBS works and
just what it can do. And i have personal friends who have under gone the
surgery, and while in some cases it shows remarkable success, in others
it seems not to have done much for the person concerned. as we always
say, this is a designer disease, and we don't all have the same symptoms
- and what treats one persons problems may not even help another with
the same problems.

So as long as i am able to cope with my lifestyle adequately, i prefer
not to consider surgery.
But that is just my opinion.

hilary blue