Source:    http://www.neuro.mpg.de/Neuronal_Specification/
Date:        september 1999

Max Planck Society, Department of Neuronal Specification,
Head of Group: Magdalena Götz, Ph.D.

How do precursor cells differ and how do they generate different cell types?

General

The adult brain is composed of distinct brain regions that perform highly
specific functions and contain different types of neurons. How is this
achieved during development? Why are different types of neurons generated at
different positions, i.e. in prospective brain regions? We address this
question in the forebrain, asking which mechanisms help to specify neurons
in the cortex different from those in the striatum. The profound differences
between these regions provide a well suited experimental system. The
cerebral cortex contains mostly glutamatergic neurons arranged in different
layers, whereas the ventrally adjacent region, the striatum, contains mostly
GABAergic neurons that are arranged in a patch-matrix fashion.

We examine how the precursor cells underlying the prospective cortex and
striatum differ from each other and how these regional differences are
translated in the generation of different cell types.

Main approaches

Cell fate analysis

The genetic mechanisms involved in the specification of precursor cells are
analyzed by the use of replication-incompetent retroviral vectors. This
technique enables us to introduce genes in individual precursor cells and
all their descendents allowing the analysis of cell types generated by an
individual precursor cells. Fig. 1 depicts such a clone of cells derived
from a single precursor cell. In this case all the descendents of a single
precursor cell are glutamatergic neurons. To adress which factors instruct
the generation of particular cell types we use co-expression retroviral
vectors that express a homeobox transcription factor and a marker gene
allowing gene manipulation and analysis of cell fate at the same time. In
addition cell fate is examined by different in vitro approaches, e.g. FACS
sorting of subsets of precursor cells and their subsequent manipulation in
vitro.

Region-specific migration of neurons

When precursor cells generate postmitotic neurons the latter migrate along
radial glia cells to their final position. Our recent data have shown a role
of Pax6 for the proper specification of radial glia cells (coll. with
A.Stoykova, P.Gruss), implying that radial glia cells are specified
differentially in distinct brain regions. Indeed, Fig. 2 shows morphological
differences between radial glia cells from the cortex and the striatum.
Using in vitro assays and transgenic mice we analyze how radial glia are
specified. In addition we manipulate gene expression in radial glia cells to
characterize the molecular events involved in their specification and the
regulation of neuronal migration.

Region-specific adhesion

Several lines of evidence suggest that the local environment plays an
important role in the specification of cell fate. We have recently
discovered a mechanism that seems to contribute to isolate cells in
particular regions, i.e. specific environments. An in vitro adhesion assay
revealed adhesive differences between cells from adjacent brain regions.
Fig. 3 E-H depicts such an aggregate where cortical and striatal cells
isolated at early neurogenesis have segregated from each other.
Interestingly this selective adhesions seems influenced by members of the
homeobox transcription factor family: In the Pax6-/- mice cortico-striatal
segregation is abolished (Fig. 3A-D; coll. with A.Stoykova, P.Gruss). We are
currently using viral vectors to examine the responsible adhesion molecules
and their potential regulation by transcription factors. Finally we want to
determine the consequences of selective adhesion for the delineation of
brain regions.