My family physician has spoken to me of her interest in
the possibility that PD may have a viral cause.   Of
course she refers me to my neurologist when questions re
my  treatment for PD come up.  (I get my medical care from
a HMO.)  But she did take some time, despite her busy
family practice, to  look  into it.  She told me that she
did not find much information about this.

If you look back on my family's medical history, there was
at least one death related to the WW1 flu epidemic.  My
personal experience is that my first PD like symptoms
began about 6  months after being treated at my HMO for
illness related to having the flu (lung congestion and
cough).  This caught my  physician's attention, when she
was reviewing my medical records.  Prior to this flu
related treatment, about my only HMO experience was an
annual physical and treatments for sports related
injuries.  (Although my first HMO doctor mistakenly
thought my early  PD symptoms, tremor and weakness in my
right hand, were caused by Carpal tunnel syndrome.  This
resulted in a Labor & Industries evaluation by a
neurosurgeon, who quickly suspected that I actually had
PD, and sent me back to the HMO for further tests and
evaluation by a neurologist.)

Amantadine has long been an apparent effective part of my
treatment for PD.  Although the original 100mg x 3 day has
been reduced to 100 x 2 day (breakfast and with lunch
around noon).  When I took a third Amantadine late in the
afternoon, it apparently caused me to have difficulty
sleeping.  But I have not had the flu since I began taking
Amantadine.  (I have also had a "flu shot" from my HMO the
past several years.)

Charley
50, first diagnosed  1993