Date sent:              Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:09:48 EST
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Kathleen Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Flouride
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> <<  Seems that the fluoride that is in our drinking
> water, toothpaste, etc., is a known toxin that can change enzyme and
> protein plasma.  This is probably old news to many but it seems of
> interest to me in the fact that it seems there are more early onset
> cases of both Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis.  And when you are
> looking for a common link for neurological nerve damage, what is more
> widely prevalent to the general population than fluoride ? >>

The incidence of young-onset Parkinsonism was very high among those
people who were afflicted with the influenza virus, especially the
Pandemic of 1918.  I saw many such young-onset Parkinson patients
during my medical school education in the fifties.  Fluoridation of
the water supply did not begin until the late fifties and sixties.

The incidence of multiple sclerosis is also something which is
controversial.  Interestingly, multiple sclerosis seems to be more
common in the "developed world" (Northern Europe in particular).
Prior to World War II, multiple sclerosis was almost unknown in
Japan; but during and after WWII, the incidence increased to the
point that multiple sclerosis is almost as common in Japan as it is
in Northern Europe and the United States.

It was theorized that the difference occurred because of smallpox
vaccination!  Prior to WWII, Japan immunized its people against
smallpox using the actual smallpox virus (called "variolation"),
while the western world used the vaccinia virus instead
("vaccination").  Variolation was/is more risky as to getting the
actual disease (smallpox) from the variolation.  When Japan became
allied with Germany during WWII, Japan began to use the vaccinia
virus to immunize its population and the incidence of multiple
sclerosis began to increase.

The above may or may not be scientifically valid.  If there is
something to this, the incidence of multiple sclerosis should be
decreasing rapidly these days, as smallpox vaccination is no longer
practiced in most of the developed world because smallpox has been
eradicated.  Interesting.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"