 Some thoughts to share that have been riding in a train around my head.  I
awoke with them; probably slept with them.  I just can't get anything done
until I  express them!

Someone wrote that we have shared a great deal of sadness these last couple
of weeks. Not a pretty picture but a genuine fact.  However suffering,
illness and death are not strangers to us.  They are our constant, everyday
living, run-of-the mill companions, and we can allow them to destroy us or
we can face them together.  That gets me to my point.   For someone to open
his/her heart to the scrutiny of others by discussing such private thoughts
and traumas as we have seen lately speaks to the trust, confidence and
respect PIEN and its member family have earned.

We are an intelligent, talented and extremely capable group.  We are
innovative, constantly questioning and searching, forever seeking ways to
improve quality of life.  In times of crisis we are courageous.  We are
foolish only sometimes.  Taking all of this into consideration, it is
unrealistic to assume that we would be willing to travel through the depths
of our personal agonies, through the hurt, frustration, sadness, loneliness
and fears of the day to day whether before or after diagnosis without
recognizing and having faith in the sincerity of PIEN'S extended hand of
friendship and professionalism.  It is evident that we have an investment in
humanity here.  To accomplish this, it is obvious that each of us has
willingly proffered a part of himself/herself for the betterment of all.  In
a sense, we have become the "village".   It's a gigantic responsibility-just
like that of any family!

Respectfully submitted,