From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 6:23 PM
To: Bob Martone
Subject: Stem cell research

Bob,

I just wanted to thank you and Nancy again for your
contribution to the report
 'Parkinson's Disease, 5 case histories, written  from a
patient's
perspective'
which I submitted to the House of Lords Select Committee on
Stem Cell
Research in May 2001.

As you may have heard, the Select Committee published their
report today, and
it contains everything we wanted.

The Committee was set up as a concession to the ProLife
Alliance when the
House of Lords voted in  January 2001 in favour of proposals
to change the
scope of the law to include provision for research using
embryonic stem
cells. Their remit was to consider and report on several
specific issues
connected with human cloning and stem cell research.

The Committee took evidence from a whole range of
individuals and
organisations, including the Parkinson's Disease Society,
the Special
Parkinson's Research Interest Group (SPRING), and many
individuals. Current
scientific studies were also examined, especially with
regard to the promise
of adult stem cells.

In a letter today Rachel Haynes, Parliamentary Officer of
the Parkinson's
Disease Society, writes

'Thank you to everyone who put forward the patient's
perspective to the
Committee - I know it was persuasive'

The full report of the Select Committee  can be read at:

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld20010
2/ldselect/ldstem/

83/8301.htm

For lighter reading, you may prefer today's press
announcement via AOL ,
which I  have pasted below.

With my thanks and very best wishes to you both,

Chris Hill
==============================
Go-ahead for strictly controlled stem cell research on
embryos

By Ananova

Stem cell research on embryos which is banned in the United
States has been
given the go-ahead in the UK by a House of Lords committee.

The decision means British scientists can create human
embryo clones under
tight regulations. Licences for the research are likely to
be issued almost
immediately.

The committee said research on human embryonic stem cells
should be allowed
under strictly controlled conditions, but any cloning of
embryos should be
kept to a minimum.

The move allows scientists to start research on adult and
embryo stem cells -
the body's master cells that have the potential to
differentiate into any
other type of cell in the body.

The controversy arises because stem cells are obtained
either from "spare"
human embryos or from cloned embryos obtained from
therapeutic cloning.

While reproductive cloning is banned, therapeutic cloning is
not and there
are fears by critics that today's move could be the start of
a "slippery
slope" towards reproductive cloning with identical copies of
human beings
created.

The move also gives the go-ahead to a scientific procedure
called oocyte
nucleus transfer in which an embryo's genes are made up from
three parents.

The Committee said the procedure should be allowed for
research purposes as
it could one day benefit people with mitochondrial
diseases - a narrow
category of disorders that affect a person's metabolism.

The Rt Rev Richard Harries, the Bishop of Oxford and
chairman of the
Committee, said: "These cells can differentiate into 200
types of cell and
are an essential benchmark to discover what is going on."

He stressed that the Human Fertilisation and Embryology
Authority, which will
regulate the research is the "best regulatory authority" in
the world.