Dear PD Friends,

My wife, Kathy Kunz, a longtime subscriber to this list, died last Sunday at age 66, from complications of the disease.  She found this site, and many of you, to be extremely important and helpful in dealing with the challenges that PD handed her every day.

Here is her partial obituary.

    Kathleen Ann Kunz of Norman, died February 17 at the age of 66.

    Kathleen was born September 22, 1935, in St. Louis Missouri to Edward and Kathleen King.  She graduated from the         Academy of the Visitation in 1953, and received her B.A. in Liberal Arts from St. Louis University in 1957.  She married Donald A. Kunz February 9, 1957.  During her husband's 22 year career in the U.S. Air Force, they lived in many locations, and settled with their family in Norman in 1975.  She received her Master's Degree in Journalism from the University of Oklahoma in 1981.

    She was an adjunct instructor in professional writing at the University of Oklahoma for 20 years and helped sponsor its Writer's Short Course.  She was an accomplished writer who wrote articles for various magazines and published her mystery novel, Murder Once Removed, in 1993.  She also mentored many other writers.

    She was an active member of St. Mark the Evangelist Church, participating in the Women's Group and the Over Fifties Club.  After being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 1994, she joined the Norman Parkinson's Support Group.  Her hobbies included bridge, reading, needlepoint, sewing, and travel.

    She is preceded in death by her parents, her brother Edward Christopher King, and her son Stephen Edward Kunz.  She is survived by her husband Donald of the home, son Donald (and wife Patricia) Kunz of Alexandria, Virginia, daughters Kathleen (and husband Michael) Walker of Sandy, Oregon and Patricia (and husband Akbar) Alikhani of Norman, and sons Larry (and wife Maria) Kunz of Norman, and Robert Kunz of Seattle, Washington.  She leaves behind nine grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, we requested that people make donations to the Parkinson's Alliance in her name.  Kathy knew that she might not benefit from current and future research, but she strongly believed in it for those who will.

She faithfully read every message from the list, even when they piled up on her.  Sometimes I had a hard time getting her to shut off her computer and come to bed.  It took her a long time to type replies, and often her Parkinson's fingers hit the wrong keys and produced strange results.  She enjoyed all of the messages as though each of you were personal friends living in Norman, Oklahoma.

Needless to say, I shall miss her terribly.  I was her caregiver and there is a huge hole in my life and heart.  I will do my best to live up to her example of courage and good humor.  Every morning, although she was in pain, she chose to be happy rather than sad, and didn't waste time feeling sorry for herself.  She lived life as fully as she could.  Three days before she died, she played afternoon bridge with some of her long time lady friends.  They complimented her on how she looked.  They were always so helpful picking her up, helping her from table to table, and bringing her home.  Sometimes they waited for her to catch up as she was arranging her cards after a deal.  She used a special card holder to make it easier.  When she came home, she was so happy and told me all the details.  That is a memory I shall carry with me always.

I will be removing her name from the list in about two weeks.  In the meantime, I shall attempt to carry on for her, reading her messages, and replying when I can.

Don Kunz