Doug,

I   think  that  a good place to begin is  Harriet Malinowitz ( 1995)
Textual orientations: lesbian and  gay Students and the making of Discourse
communities.  Boynton/Cook

If  you are loooking for  the area of queer  pedagogy and theory and
curriculum then I  can  suggest  the more or less recent  collection of
work by William Pinar  "Queer theory in Education" ( 1998). Lawrence
Earlbaum Assoc.

And if you really  want to  jump into the world of  new  technologies,
media and gender as performativity, transgendered, queer and  virtual
sexualities  then Sandy Stone is your transgendered theory  diva.
http://www.actlab.utexas.edu/~sandy/

and her incredible book The War of Desire and technology at the Close of
the mechanical Age   1995 (MIT PRESS)

Aw well,  although  this   does not expressly  deal  with gay  and lesbian
identity formation and  media, I think that an area of research and theory
which I think is very rich is the conceptual work provided by Dorothy Smith
-  which has been more recently re-framed in a way that might be more
accessible from the perspective of genre theorists.  I  suggest  you  look
at  her  recent  book  Writing the social: Critique, theory and
Investigations  1999 University of Toronto Press

Her set of essays in Text, Facts  and FemininityL Exploring the relations
of ruling (1993) routledge   and  The conceptual Practices of Power: A
Feminist sociology of Knowledge (UTP)   bring in sociology, feminist
post-structualist thought, linguistic analysis and discourse theory to
explore how we are textually and discursive mediated  by the active texts
of institutions,   so in some ways   -  although it is a  more modernist
precurser to more "distributed" identity politics,  she has articulated the
mechanisms of power relations, identity formation  and particpation in
discursive activity systems from the "outsiders" perspective.

I  hope  this isn't too distracting

kathryn

>Doug Brent wrote:
>>
>> I am working with a PhD student on the topic of how gay and lesbian
>> groups use media (broadly defined), not so much to "get their message
>> out" but to define their own social identity both for others and for
>> themselves.
>>
>> We are working on candidacy reading lists right now and there are two
>> areas I'd appreciate some input on.  Under "Identity and Community," I'd
>>
>> appreciate ideas on sources regarding how group identity in particular
>> is rhetorically constructed.  This clearly taps into the "Rhetoric as
>> Epistemic" line of research.
>>
>> Also, we have another list, "The Rhetoric of Activism."  We have much of
>>
>> the Rhetoric of Social Change material on this list but I'd like to get
>> ideas for anything particularly new or germane.
>>
>> Nothing at this point needs necessarily to relate directly to queer
>> activism.  We are at the stage of filling in general background.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Doug
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Doug Brent
>> Associate Dean (Academic)
>> Faculty of Communication and Culture, University of Calgary
>> 2500 University Drive N.W.
>> Calgary, Alberta, Canada  T2N 1N4
>> Voice: (403) 220-5458  Fax: (403) 282-6716
>> http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dabrent

>> the annual conference, and publications, go to the Inkshed Web site at
>>          http://www.StThomasU.ca/inkshed/
>>                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

>Graham Smart               Office phone: (765) 494-3773
>Assistant Professor        Office fax: (765) 494-3780
>Purdue University          Home phone: (765) 583-0674
>Department of English      Home fax: (765) 583-0674
>324 Heavilon Hall          mailto: [log in to unmask]
>West Lafayette             http://icdweb.cc.purdue.edu/~gsmart
>Indiana  47907
>http://www.hungersite.com
>http://www.freedonation.com

>the annual conference, and publications, go to the Inkshed Web site at
>         http://www.StThomasU.ca/inkshed/
>                 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"We live with strangers. those we love most, with whom we share a shelter,
a table, a bed, remain mysterious. Wherever lives overlap and flow
together, there are depths of unknowing." Mary Catherine Bateson, 2000,
from Full Circles, Overlapping Lives.

Kathryn Alexander, Ph.D.
Faculty of Education,
Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby, B.C.  V5A 1S6 Canada

Messages for SFU: (604) 291 - 3395 /SFU FAX (604) 291 - 3203

Personal: email:  [log in to unmask]