To: CASLL/Inkshed <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PhD candidacy lists

Doug,

One area of social activism that I've become interested in over the last
while is environmentalism (joining the Sierra Club can do that to you!).
If this is an area of interest for your program, I could suggest some
readings in the rhetorics of environmentalism.

Graham

Doug Brent wrote:

> I am working with a PhD student on the topic of how gay and lesbian
> groups use media (broadly defined), not so much to "get their message
> out" but to define their own social identity both for others and for
> themselves.
>
> We are working on candidacy reading lists right now and there are two
> areas I'd appreciate some input on.  Under "Identity and Community," I'd
>
> appreciate ideas on sources regarding how group identity in particular
> is rhetorically constructed.  This clearly taps into the "Rhetoric as
> Epistemic" line of research.
>
> Also, we have another list, "The Rhetoric of Activism."  We have much of
>
> the Rhetoric of Social Change material on this list but I'd like to get
> ideas for anything particularly new or germane.
>
> Nothing at this point needs necessarily to relate directly to queer
> activism.  We are at the stage of filling in general background.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Doug
>
> --
> Dr. Doug Brent
> Associate Dean (Academic)
> Faculty of Communication and Culture, University of Calgary
> 2500 University Drive N.W.
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada  T2N 1N4
> Voice: (403) 220-5458  Fax: (403) 282-6716
> http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dabrent

> the annual conference, and publications, go to the Inkshed Web site at
>          http://www.StThomasU.ca/inkshed/

Graham Smart               Office phone: (765) 494-3773
Assistant Professor        Office fax: (765) 494-3780
Purdue University          Home phone: (765) 583-0674
Department of English      Home fax: (765) 583-0674
324 Heavilon Hall          mailto: [log in to unmask]
West Lafayette             http://icdweb.cc.purdue.edu/~gsmart
Indiana  47907
http://www.hungersite.com
http://www.freedonation.com