Sally,

I have been on the study medication Sumanirole for about a year now.
Aside from a slight bit of manageable edema, the stuff works well.  My
participation is in an open label study, no placebos.  I know what and
how much of the stuff I am getting.  This medication has been tested on
humans for at least a couple of years. The study had been in progress for
at least a year before I signed on.

Actually, I started a little more than 2 years ago, first in another
dopamine agonist study, then proceeded to the current, long term study.
Three factors influenced my decision to participate. 1.) somebody's got
to do it.  2.) the medicine is free  3.)  I can quit any time if I  feel
I should.  I guess Paula said it well. " "Do what feels right for you.
If it stresses you, don't do it."

I am 65, was diagnosed two years ago, and had been mildly symptomatic for
maybe 5 years before that. Some of my symptoms were virtually erased, a
few have not progressed at all, and a couple of new ones, nothing major,
have shown up during the trial. I guess that is the nature of the beast.
It is always changing.

Nancy P.