Rayilyn,
If you are going to forward the horror stories like Deborah's to
your friends I would also hope you would forward the stories that
are not so "sensational" as well.  Any surgical procedure can
have complications, whether it is having a tooth removed or an
appendectomy.  DBS normally causes little or no pain.  I find it
incredible that Deborah would do it all again --- but then she
was able to witness the benefit first hand and wants to live a
normal life.

Steve's procedure was merely an few days inconvenience by
comparison.  Here is a short form of his story.

My brother, Steve, was diagnosed with PD at age 44 (the year
before our father died from PD complications at age 78.  By age
49, Steve could walk only occasionally and crawled on his hands
and
knees most of the time before DBS.  Had dyskinetia so severe his
clothes would slide off his body while "resting" in an
easy chair.

He had bilateral STN DBS in April of 1998.

Three days after DBS he was walking normally with some
freezing --- stims not yet turned on.

Two weeks after surgery he was driving trucks and tractors and
operating farm machinery.

Two months after DBS he was up on the roof helping his son
install a new window in their home.

Steve was the very first patient to have bilateral STN DBS for PD
in Chicago at Rush Medical Center.

It will be 4 years next month.  Steve is still on some
medication.  DBS is NOT a cure but Steve can now lead a normal
life with a few limitations.  DBS isn't perfect but it beats the
hell out of long term nursing care when you are 53 years old.

Paul Fahr