Joan,
I just read your beautifully written comments re: your mother and her nursing
home experience as well as end stage Parkinsons.

(My mother passed in January 2001 after 3 1/2 years in a nursing home, with
dementia/stroke.  I have PD.  I explain this to help you to put into context
my statements that follow.)

Are you also a member of the Caregivers list that Camilla Flinterman "owns"?
 This list was started several (many) years ago because some of the PD
patients on the Parkinsn list were uncomfortable with the "conversations"
regarding end stage of Parkinsons Disease, death and the issues surrounding
care for end stage patients.

I mention this, because there is a forum accessible to all on line to discuss
the problems and issues of a family coping with the emotions of losing a
family member, whether that is to dementia, disease, or death.

For many newcomers and those in the early-mid stages of Parkinsons, the need
to know the grief our families will share is put aside as we deal with the
ramifications of Parkinsons in our own lives.  We don't really worry about
what will be on our own death certificates.

On the other hand......I have spent years dealing with the difficult staffing
problems in nursing homes.  I do think there is an urgent need for us to
discuss this "side issue" of in home care....skilled nursing care....and
institutional living.......and liveable wage for those who are providing such
added benefits in our lives.

We had both positive and negative nursing experiences with our mother's care
and support.  We have cared for chronically ill family members in the home.
We have cared for acutely ill family members through months long
hospitalizations.  In each experience, the need/access to skilled care and
the shortages in staffing were a major issue......whether or not Parkinsons
disease was a part of the picture.

Perhaps if we funneled more of our energy advocating for ourselves(families
and patients)  and others(health care providers) in a productive way to help
support the process of death........as well as the process of living each
day.......we could help to ease the transitions in our lives.

Rita Weeks  57/12