Dear Helen,
      I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.   I went to my family
dr in May of 1992.  He immediately sent me to a local neurologist.  I was so
scared that I had a brain tumor because my doctor was very adamant about me
doing this as soon as possible. The things that were happening to me were :
not swinging my right arm, walking like I had a ball and chain around my
ankle, slow eating, slow getting my jobs done (owned a 200 seat restaurant
til 97.  I did the Accts Pyble, the payroll, the correspondence, the filing,
three loads of towels a day, worked the front line at the grill over the
busiest hours, and helped in any dept they needed me.....dishes, getting
drinks or waiting on counter.  We made our own icecream & on hot, summer
days they were lined up out the door).  (I miss my work and the people
there).  The other problem was my handwriting. I wrote on the blackboard by
holding my right wrist with my left hand - the a.m. and p.m. daily specials
were changed at 4 p.m. and 11:00 p.m..
     I had alot of tests done by the neurologist - all of which confirmed my
PD - not a tumor.  Knowing only two elderly people at the time who had P.D.,
I was really scared. One was my husband's uncle who the family fed alone and
I never met him.  The other was a kind person who had to rest alot.  I
didn't know half of what I know now.
    I was sent to Phila. to the Movement Disorder dept. because they had
alot more contact with researchers and I was his youngest patient at the
time.
     I decided to have the DBS because the dystonia in my right foot was so
bad (actually turned in when I'm OFF) and it was getting very painful - my
back - the dyskenesias.  I felt embarrassed at public functions.  I would
make jokes like:  "I need some Velcro for my butt".  But I hurt inside
emotionally.  My new neurologist kept trying to talk me into a pallidotomy,
but I was afraid that it would only be done on one side and it was
permanent.  Now he admits that I was right.  Anyhow, my husband took me to
Las Vegas the week before to keep my mind busy.  I love "Blackjack" and
"Caveman  Keno".  Then my mother died of breast cancer. We buried her on
Saturday and I had to get to Phila on Sunday for surgery Mon am.  They took
me to surgery, said good morning, and I remember nothing except the pain i
n my legs (edema).  They kept my family posted.  I got to the recovery room
by 9 PM. They had shaved my head and left a tiny little tail on the back at
the bottom. Then somebody took my hair & put it into a baggie in my dresser
drawer.  They said I recited the whole pledge of allegiance.  I can vaguely
remember going for an MRI.  It was easy because I was out of it - no
claustrophobia this time. I have to go eat supper. To be continued.  Paula