Scott,

  You ask good questions!  I'm sorry that I don't have "the answer" for you
but I can share what did/has/is happening in my journey with PD.

1.  At what dosage does the Carbidopa/Levadopa side effects outweigh the
benefits?

I don't think there is a magic number for this.  For me, when the dosage
caused the side effects that were worse than the PD, I started looking for a
doctor to do a DBS.

I was dx w/PD in July 99 and started on Sinemet in Dec. 99.  I did not
develop dyskenisia's until July 2001 at which time I was taking Sinemet CR
50/200 5 X day + Sinemet 25/100 3 X day, Eldypryl 10 mg 2 X day, Comtan 200
mg 5 X day, Mirapex 1.5 mg 3 X day, Sonata  30 mg per night, Vitamin E 1000
IU per day divided into 2 400 IU and 1 200 IU dose, 1 multivitamin and I'm
sure there is something that I left out.  It is hard to say with the drug
cocktail that I was on which caused what. I know that the Eldypryl cause me
to have terrible short-term memory problems.  I was a real space cadet.
Stopping it helped but I was still very very tired all the time yet I didn't
sleep at night.

2.  How long do people work after their initial diagnosis?

I started going to the doctor looking for what was wrong with me in October
97.  Looking back, my symptoms began in 1992.  I worked until August 2001.
My PD wound up being MSA and progressed rapidly in 99,00 & 01 but
ironically, since the DBS and its removal and stopping all PD meds except
for Sinemet CR 25/100, 2 in the morning and 1 three more times during the
day supplimenting with Sinemet 25/100 as needed, I am doing a lot better.
The rigidity and slowness is back.  I still lose my balance, choke, have
difficulty sleeping, am tired all of the time, have short-term memory
problems and have pain but the pain is not as severe and my mind feels
clearer. I like it best on less medication now that I have something to
compare it to. But again, this is just me.  Everyone is different.

 > 3.  I have several odd movements going on: rocking from foot to foot,
clenching/curling my toes while standing, clenching my teeth, and catching
myself with my left hand raised (my wife calls this my "Gumby
 > pose.)  Are these examples of Dyskinesia or side effects of the
medication?

Wow, thanks for joggin my memory.  I almost forgot that my fingers would
draw into my hands and lock up and I would clench my teeth... don't know if
this is your meds or not but since the doctor eliminated all of the
extraneous meds I no longer do this.  I still can't write but my hands don't
hurt like they used to.

 > 4.  Looking toward the future, how hard is it to get the California State
Teachers Retirement  System (CalSTRS) to okay disability benefits?

This I can't answer.  I retired on private disability insurance (they
started paying benefits in October) and am still battling with Social
Security.

Debra,

   Disability retirement threw me into a 3 month depression.  My husband
thought that I should be excited about being able to sit home and do
whatever I wanted to do and still have income.  To me, it was one of the
most difficult decisions that I ever had to make.  It felt as if I was
giving in to this disease, like I was telling the world that I was losing
the battle.

   I knew that I could no longer continue working.  It had been almost a
year since I was able to put in a full work week but I also could not face
the loss.  It was a decision that I knew would have no turning back safety
net waiting for me.  Who would ever hire someone with PD after they went on
disability, I would ask myself.  Silly question now looking back on it all.

   If you are seriously thinking about retirement, think about what you can
do to stay active and feel good about yourself.  Have something set up to
make up for the loss of interaction with your co-workers and the time you
will have on your hands.  After the adjustment, retirement at a young age is
not so bad.  I retired at 39.  I now spend my time writing my book, helping
others with PD, advocacy and taking care of my husband.  I build computers
at home, have installed a network in the house and research the net for info
on PD, meds, DBS and questions that others come up with where they don't
have the time to find the answers.  I also have joined the womens group for
my neighborhood and taken over the community newsletter.

   The point I am trying to make is to make sure when you retire you have
something that will keep you feeling needed, something for your mind to do,
something that your body is capable of doing.  Disability does take a long
time to come through and the process social security puts you through is
totally degrading but if you build yourself up at the same time, it won't be
a rough.

Debra, never "surrender", just turn "can do" into "can do differently!"

Deborah aka Tenacity