... i was a tad dyskinetic
a bit more than just twitchy
and i was bending over the bathtub
to brush my hair up into the usual topknot

as i straightened up holding my ponytail in one hand
i lost my balance and toppled
rolled down and backwards

couldn't find anything to grip on the way down
although there was a wall mounted grab bar close by

all i remember is my hands reaching for the side of the tub
but there was nothing to grab

first kapow tail bone on vinyl-tile-over-concrete floor
then kabam upper back and shoulder blades against the wood door

whew
hurting laying still to absorb the news
then scrabbling on the slippery floor to regain verticality
then off to my bed to assess the damage
and catch my breath

three days later
bruises on my upper arms and right buttock
are turning yellow and green
the stiffness was at its worst yesterday

it could have been so much worse

i've been given a wakeup call

dyskinesia is more than
an inconvenience or
an annoyance

what to do?
how to prevent recurrence?
new and seated hair grooming routine?
wall to wall carpet on floor?
grab bars everywhere?
padded walls?

janet
ow

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 54/41/37 cd: 54/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/