hi all

i came across the following abstract in my current editing session
and it breaks my heart, especially the part marked ******

1999/11/13 PMID: 10555938: PD treatment in long-term care facilities

Prevalence, clinical characteristics, and pharmacologic treatment of
Parkinson's disease in
residents in long-term care facilities. SAGE Study Group.

Despite the high prevalence of Parkinson's disease (PD) in the elderly,
little information is
available regarding the epidemiology of the disease in residents in
long-term care facilities.

Using a population-based database with over 470,000 residents (1992-1996)
of all Medicare- or
Medicaid-certified nursing homes of five states, we identified 24,402
residents with a diagnosis of
PD.

We examined data collected with the federally mandated Minimum Data Set, and
sociodemographic, clinical, and treatment information.

The prevalence of PD in nursing homes was 5.2%, with peak age-specific
prevalence between
ages 75 and 84 years.

70% of patients had moderate to severe cognitive impairment, and over 80%
had moderate to
severe functional disability.

Less than 10% had verbal and physical signs of grief and anxiety, and 80%
exhibited poor
psychosocial well-being, yet only 15% were actively treated for depression.

******
Only 44% received antiparkinsonian drugs.
******

Female gender, black race, age, level of cognitive impairment, and level of
physical functioning
were inversely related to the likelihood of receiving one of these drugs.

When antipsychotic drugs were administered (15%), only 1% were atypical
agents.

Although PD is a relatively common diagnosis among nursing home residents,
pharmacologic
management of these individuals appears to be less than optimal.

Pharmacotherapy 1999 Nov;19(11):1321-7
Lapane KL, Fernandez HH, Friedman JH
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA.
PMID: 10555938, UI: 20022864

we know [have learned together] so much
and there is so much ignorance out there still
[i would bet that the picture painted here
has not changed substantially, if at all]

can we do anything on any kind of basis
to help those suffering needlessly?
those without a voice?

janet
who would not care
to go without her antiparkinsonian drugs
for one hour, let alone one day, or one week or ...

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/