David: Thanks for pointing this out - the wait.  I'll check with Burdette, but it seems like we got lucky with Social Security here in Montana.  All of a sudden there was approval - only 1 trip to a doctor to confirm the diagnosis.  Then a check for back pay fox "x" amount of time!

But yes, get the process started early if one expects this 6-month wait.  Maybe we had the six month wait and didn't realize it.    ~pat