Toni (I really need to get to bed, but just one more....)
    After my husband's first pallidotomy he experienced something very strange also.  We tried to figure it out - loss of cognition or loss of thought analysis.  Problem solving - that's it.  We figured it was due to bruising and swelling.  It worried us alot - but did pass (can't even remember how long that lasted).  It's really crappy when you leave a hospital without any instructions of what to expect and who to contact.  We were, however, happy with the surgery results and he has had a second pallidotomy - oh almost exactly 1 year ago this week.  I do think the depresssion he is experiencing for the last 8 months or so could be from the surgery.  He never had a hint of depression till post surgery - but who knows, could be coincidental too.  Again, we're still happy with the surgery.
    Does the DBS sensor have any type of fine tuning mechanism?  I'm inclined to say it is too soon, but the symptoms must be frightening and potentially harmful.  Sorry to hear.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Toni Watts
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 11:06 PM
  Subject: DBS

  I have been reading all the mail on this list for a few months but have not replied or added comments.  I am now asking for any information on post DBS.  Because of all the good things I learned about DBS on this site, my father had the surgery recently at Oxnard, CA.  The first surgery went very well.  After the second side was done (on Feb 26), he has been experiencing a lot of aggitation and we feel that his personality seems so different.  At first, he was very quiet and nonmoving, but now he has bouts of anger.  Tonight, he wanted to go out and he got in the car demanding he could drive.  (He hasn't driven for about 8 years; he is 76 years old).  He has had hallucinations about talking to his mother and gets angry at my mom.  He just doesn't seem like he's with us and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of effect after surgery.  He had an MRI last week and there is no bleeding or abnormal swelling.  I'm trying to convince my mom that it will just take some time, but she doesn't seem to believe it.  Please let me know if anyone else has had this type of occurrence.  Thank you,