There are probably many related minor characteristics of PD that will never
be the subject of an investigation or a medical trial. I know that one of
the purposes of this list has been to collect experiences and reactions to
the variables each PD contributor provides. The survey seeks to discover
commonalties.

I have a thought to throw out there for consideration.

I am part of a family of mentally ill folks, some more than others, and all
affected in their own way according to which "side" of the family they hail
from. There are three individuals I can talk about firsthand, myself, my Dad
and my daughter. One characteristic we all share is a strange sensation or
troubling moments with our respective mouths.

When I began taking Zoloft some years ago to ease the perpetual loop of
obsessive thinking, I noticed and still do, an abnormal tightness in my jaw
and a sensation of dryness inside my mouth. My daughter, who was diagnosed
as an eight year old of having a light version of Tourette's has an ongoing
preoccupation with her throat and mouth, never really feeling comfortable
with the way it feels, as if there is something aggravating it, especially
when she is not engaged in some mindful activity.

My Dad has been diagnosed as having PD since 1997. As his condition
progresses, I noticed an odd pursing of his lips and a worsening of his
omnipresent choking not only when it eats but during other times as well
(and he has choked the many years I have known him as an adult) He also
sneezes for 10 minutes at a time.

Both my daughter and my Dad are night mouth breathers. My Dad will soon be
fitted with an apparatus to help with sleep apnea.

I wonder, considering how Tourette's worse symptoms seem to tied to a very
primitive part of our brain, what the involvement of our mouth has to do
with neurological insults.

Any thoughts? I know this missive is about as unscientific as is possible. I
am just interested in little things that might someday be listed as other
symptoms.

Jann