[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Edith,
>
>       Thank you for your St. Patrick's Day message, and for your subsequent
>posting, sent directly to me, where you have realized, after the fact, that
>your heartfelt St. Patrick's Day message did violate the list guidelines.  It
>is very easy to break the guidelines because we want personal contact and we
>want to be a family.  Many of us do not even know the quidelines are there,
>and many of us forget about those stuffy, legalistic guidelines.
>
>       Look at all the traffic on this list today,  and the number of
>postings on the list, not just your posting, which technically or directly
>violate the
>guidelines.  And this happens every day.  A percentage of people on the list
>has always favored listing everything and using the delete button whereas a
>percentage, which includes me (a legally trained person) has always favored
>compliance with the guidelines.  I tried to alert people to the
>problem that
>if, we were slowing down the UT system, our volume was too big, e.g.
>non-compliance with the
>guidelines was a problem.  If our postings are monitored by the UT or
>elsewhere, how can that academic institution justify providing services for
>personal messages, poetry, humor pieces/jokes, etc?

in the next manifestation of a Parkinson List Serve -I would suggest
allowing liberal
freedom of posting content and even allow attatchments

i realize guidelines are necessary to limit what can be overwhelming
volume for some

there will need to be a balance

poetry, short stories, irrelevant news,
ethnic news, religion,  jokes,
arguements, gossip and comment, etc...
we've seen it all right here

 -- it is culture
 -- it is art

not always appreciated
compared to a good hardnosed scientific study or  report
but that is how it can be justified (in some circumstances)

something to keep in mind for the future

thanks Katie -- for the awareness factor you bring:
we need to remain in compliance with the rules
until we can move on

Ray

>zzap
>

>the list guidelines and careful compliance with the guidelines may be the
>survival of this list and its family.
>
>       Edith, your St. Patrick's Day message was an unintentional slip.  I am
>certain we all loved receiving and reading it.  Happy St. Patrick's Day to
>you!  Katie

                                Ray Strand\
                             Prairie Sky Design\
 -----------------(   on  the Edge of the Prairie Abyss  )---------------