Dear Barb,

       Thank you for giving the list this information.  Your earlier posting
stated that the list "slowed down" the UT system.  If the problem is that
Judy Norris will no longer be a faculty member at UT, and UT will continue to
provide such listserv services to faculty members, then the problem is very
simple indeed.  You/Judy Norris/we just have to find a faculty member, which
is approved by UT, to sponsor the list.  I assume that will be a very simple
task, much, much easier than arguing with UT about its computer capacity and
the merits of the list.   I notice that you mentioned in this posting that
Ms. Norris was negotiating with UT about the "if" of the withdrawal of
services by UT as well as all the details of UT withdrawing its computer
services.  I assume that these negotiations, or any negotiations with a new
host for the list, will have to address the issues of list volume and list
content, as well as many other issues.  In the interim I still think it very
beneficial to the continued survival of this list for the list owners to
support the guidelines and for all list members to try to follow the
guidelines.  After all the guidelines represent the agreement between the
list and UT as well as the agreement between the list and the individual list
members.

       I assume that you will keep the list informed and that you will
request assistance where necessary.  Your original posting seems to have
caused the proverbial tempest in a teapot, but the news was very disturbing.
No one wants to lose this list: we may disagree about many things, but no one
wants to lose the list.  I hope you realize that you have the support of the
list members and that we are ready to assist you in any way that we can.
You, John C., and Judy Norris should not have to carry the burdens of this
list, and this current problem with UT, by yourselves.   Katie