Adult Stem cell 'breakthrough' is hype - study

Adult stem cells, touted as the raw material for the organ
farms of the future, are proving to be far more
disappointing than their defenders claim, two new studies
warn.

Scientists have already discovered that stem cells taken
from embryos at their earliest stage have the remarkable
ability to grow into almost any organ of the body.

Their goal is to coax these cells in growing into skin,
bone, brain or nerve cells in a lab dish, then harvest and
transplant them into a patient.

Ethical controversy

But the use of cells taken from embryos is fraught with
ethical controversy, and many countries have laws that ban
or tightly control the practice.

In the past few years, intensifying interest has focussed on
stem cells taken from adult tissue, such as blood, brain and
muscle.

Recent studies

A series of recent studies have encouraged a blaze of
optimism that these immature cells can be reprogrammed to
grow into multiple types of cells, thus providing a nearly
limitless — and uncontroversial — source of transplant
material.

The apparent breakthrough has come from mixing these
precursor cells with embryos cells in "co-cultures" in
which, it is thought, the reprogramming takes place.

The adult stem cells, according to this theory, are
genetically wiped clean and converted to their highly potent
embryonic counterparts.

But two studies published in Nature, the British weekly
science journal, say these assumptions are far too
optimistic.

Stem cell not reprogrammed

They found that in many instances, the adult stem cell was
not reprogrammed — it simply melded with an embryo cell.

That is bad news, because it means that the adult cell had
to co-opt an embryonic counterpart in order to become a cell
with potential therapeutic use, said Austin Smith, a
University of Edinburgh professor.

In other words, it did not add to the number of miracle
cells.

Need for caution

"This suggests a need for caution with regard to the
therapeutic use of adult tissue stem cells," he said.

"If they only make other tissues by fusing existing cells
rather than producing new cells, their utility for tissue
repair and regenerative medicine will be greatly
restricted."

Smith's team made the discovery about the hybrids by tagging
mouse brain cells with green fluorescent protein. This
marker was then discovered in "co-culture" cells that
behaved like embryonic stem cells.

Scientists led by Naohiro Terada of the University of
Florida in Gainesville separately arrived at the same
discovery about cell fusion.

Fusion problem

They found that adult cells from either mouse bone marrow or
brain, grown in the same dish as embryonic stem cells, fused
spontaneously to produce hybrids able to produce muscle,
nerve and other cell types.

The extent of the fusion problem is unclear, but if the
results are confirmed by tests on animals, they are "a
warning to the overzealous trend" in stem-cell research, it
said.

"I still support adult stem-cell research and I really would
like to see that blood stem cells can turn into brain or
liver cells. That would be great," Terada told AFP.

"But before concluding that, maybe we should be more
careful. We can expect real prospects from stem cell
research when we have a stronger foundation (of knowledge),"
he said. - AFP

Bob Martone
http://www.samlink.com/~bmartone