Katie,

  You have been through so much. My heart goes out to you and your
perseverance. You story shows how we need to educate ourselves as much as
possible so that our doctors make the fewest mistakes with us being the
victims.

  You are not alone in hoping it will all go away.  After I was dx w/PD+ in
Sept. 2000, I found "the best" MSA doctor in the country. I made phone
calls, got an appointment, raised funds for the airline trip and hotel room
and went hoping for a miracle.  What I received was a 45 minute interview
with a resident then 5 minutes with the doctor after waiting 1.5 hours for
my case to be reviewed.

  When the doctor came into the room, he asked me to walk, poked me a few
times, pushed and pulled on me to see if I would lose my balance and
"corrected" comments made by the resident.  Then he calmly sat down, took my
hands and said,"I have some good news and some bad news.  You do not have
MSA nor do you have PD.  But you do have deeply rooted psychological
problems and you need to immediately go off all of your medication and see a
psychiatrist."  With this, he picked up my file and left the room while
murmuring that I need not ever return.

  I thought about what he said and crazy defiantly was better than MSA or PD
so I did as he said. I went to a psychiatrist and went off my meds.  Within
6 weeks my symptoms were horrible. By 3 months, I had to have a sitter with
me 24 hours a day because I could not even move my head without assistance.
I called my neuro in Houston and the one in my home town. They put me back
on Sinemet and scolded me saying that I bought myself a good professor who
told me what I wanted to hear. They also said it was my denial that
contributed to this outcome and that I needed to learn to live with PD...
not give in to it but to learn to live with it.

  Anyway, if a doctor tells you something that doesn't seem quite right seek
another one or ask those on the list what they think. Too many of us have
had experiences like Katie.

Deborah aka Tenacity Wins