At 07:44 PM 3/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Well I have decided to finally swallow the big pill called PRIDE, and
>start the application process for SSDI.  I don't know why that's been such
>a big deal - it's not like I'm doing anything wrong.  I do have
>parkinson's after all.  It's not like I'm going to wake up in the morning
>and it's going to be gone.  I have a few questions I was hoping you could
>help me with before I start.
>1)  Right now i have great health benefits through my husband's job (
>thank you God!).  Once I get approved for SSDI - you know, in a year or
>two, - will I still be able to use his medical benefits for doctor's
>visits and Rx.  I think the answer is yes but I figured I better check to
>be sure.
The  answer is YES

>2)  After you have been on SSDI for i believe 24 months, you are eligible
>for Medicare.  Does that mean you have to go on Medicare?  NO you do
>not.  I mean, Medicare might be advantageous in some cases but if it
>doesn't cover prescription drugs, that could be really bad.  I don't see
>any advantage to getting SSDI and then having to spend the whole thing on
>my meds.  How exactly does Medicare work with SSDI?

Regarding SSDI  From the date you apply, assuming that your first
application is the only one needed. There is an automatic 6 month waiting
period, not counting the month in which you apply. then after the  the six
months have passed you will receive your first  payment  toward   the part
of the month your birthday falls. Like my birthday  is March 26  It falls
in the last week of the month so I get my SSDI on the fourth Wednesday of
the month. So it was really closer to eight months.

Yours and His
David L Moreland