  When I called
  the Medicare Hotline I was told that I had the option to opt out
due to

  other coverage without jeopardizing future coverage
at  age 65.

 I also took early retirement and had my employer's coverage until age
65 and was told I could opt out as well until the age of 65 ....Medicare
had said I could buy the coverage at the early age for $50/month and I didn't
think I needed it for the two years as I had my work coverage... I don't
remember exactly where in the medicare book but it said something to the the
fact that you must be covered from the beginning of the year in the year that
you turn 65  and my birthday was later on in the year but the
Medicare  person I spoke to sounded so unsure of what she was telling me
that I decided to call back with the same question and got an entirely different
answer...I called four more times for a total of six phone calls with three
answers saying yes and three saying no.......I finally called an
attorney who  researched it and bottom line I took the Medicare
coverage along with my work coverage...so my health insurance is primary and
Medicare is secondary coverage....Joan H.