And how are you Mr. Wilson?    *
        *One of my favorite lines from "Harvey."

There is one article in MEDLINE on this subject. [a 1991 by Neretin, a USSR
researcher in the area of vascular medicine  -  published in Russian and in
English.  His English is quite limited, but most of his sources cited are
from English language sources.  His niece [ a sociologist / anthropologist
specializing in middle eastern peoples and cultures] is quite facile in
English. With her help, the author and I were able to have some
communication. His article deals primarily [he says entirely] with
parkinsonism resulting from vascular trauma. There was some improvement in
the patients studied, but from his comments, the successes were minimal
compared to other therapies.

There is another article dealing with pressure and Parkinson's.  It is a
very minor piece written in jest in the BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL by Gerald
Stern, a usually competent British neurologist. He was poking fun at those
who claim their PD symptoms are reduced while flying in pressurized
aircraft. He screwed up the hyperbaric and hypobaric.  His jests
acknowledged the existence of PD patients whose symptoms are eased by
hypobaric pressure.  A couple of letters to the editor appeared. One pointed
out Stern's error and then screwed up himself with a misunderstanding of
Boyle's/Charles' law of partial pressure.

I am scared of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for PD.  I find that an increase in
pressure [such as when a pilot tests the pressurization system before
takeoff - the pressure in the cabin goes positive relative to ambient at
ground level] makes my symptoms much worse temporarily. On takeoff when the
pressure in the cabin falls relative to ambient at ground level, my PD
symptoms ease or disappear temporarily.  The effect will last for a short
while. On landing, my symptoms become much more severe, thankfully only for
a short period of time.  I am usually able to board a plane without
assistance, but require a rest period or  assistance [wheelchair] to
deplane.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road