Debra,

You've gotten some good advice about SSDI and Medicare, especially if you go
to Greg's web site.  Another excellent source of info. on Medicare is the
Seniors Health Information Program, which most state governments provide
under a federal grant.  North Carolina has a really good SHIIP program, and
its web site is www.ncshiip.com (the two "i's" are not a typo).  It has
Medicare information for both the elderly and disabled.

One reason for enrolling in SSDI (assuming one is eligible) is to keep your
regular social security benefit amount after you turn 65.  If you have been
neither gainfully employed nor on SSDI for a certain period immediately prior
to your 65th birthday, then your post-65 social security income will be
calculated on the assumption that you were not working and contributing to
the system.  However, when somebody goes on SSDI, your post-65 benefits will
be based on the earnings you had immediately prior to going on SSDI.

Another reason for enrolling in SSDI is that you can't lose by going on
Medicare.  If you have other coverage, you can keep it (I think you're even
required to keep it if you're eligible for it and the benefits are as good or
better than Medicare's).  Also, you can delay you're enrollment period for
Medicare Part B and Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) coverage if you're
covered by another health plan.

The most aggravating thing about applying for SSDI is that most initial
claims applications are routinely denied regardless of how qualified the
applicants are.  Assuming you appeal the decision, it is very difficult to
represent yourself at the appeals hearing, which is almost like going to
Court.  You'll find scores of attorneys in the yellow pages who do nothing
but represent SSDI applicants, and they usually win their cases (strange how
those who are first to review SSDI applications are wrong so often, isn't
it).  Some (perhaps most) of these attorneys will not even talk to you until
you're initial claim application has been denied.  You're best hope is to
study the rules thoroughly (consider yourself prepared when you find the
loophole for certain PD patients) and state clearly on the application how
your condition meets the coverage criteria.  Although you submit the
completed (and I do mean completed) application to your local Social Security
office, it is immediately routed to a state government agency for initial
review.  Find out which state agency conducts disability determinations and
follow up with them vigorously.  Do not let a week pass without talking with
the individual who is handling your claim.  Be courteous, of course, but
firm.  Also, respond to their requests for further information promptly.  In
my case, they requested additional information from a MD who was not even
treating me for PD, but I had the info. to them the next day.  Some people
would rather hire a lawyer than put up with all the frustration.  I'm just
cheap.

Good luck!

Rees Jenkins