My recommendation for a PD subject matter book is The Case of the Frozen
Addicts by J. William Langston M.D. Written in 1995 concerning events which
took place in the research world in the 1980's and early 1990's, it has been
mainly overtaken by current events but is nonetheless a fascinating account
of the beginnings of transplant research. Aside from its historical value, it
reads like a novel and I remember putting it down with reluctance when I was
reading it.

As for the wrinkle. I am something of a bibliophile and always feel the need
to own what I read. This book is out of print but can be found (for example)
on www.abebooks.com for $12.50 and up. For the non-bibliophiles interested in
a good read but not deeming such a read worth $12.50 or more plus shipping, I
offer the following: Write to me either off or on-list with your name and
mailing address. I'll mail the book in a resealable box and you mail it back
when done. If more than one person cares to read it, I'll include a sheet
with everyone's name and address and it can be serially mailed to the next
name on the list. Only cost to anyone will be postage to the next addressee
which shouldn't be more than a few $.

Paul H. Lauer