I don't mean to put another log on the fire, Johanna.  You and your family
have already been through so much, but I can't help but think of  the "what
ifs" instead of the "could  be's'.   For what it's worth this is how I see
this from where I stand:

 We're talking about a  Veterans' Hospital.  If they even suspect that
something abnormal might have affected the brain, why aren't they curious
enough to know what that might be for the sake of other patients?  Or do
they already have an answer?

What if an autopsy were requested now?   Would it be too late to discover
anything?
What if you requested that your dad's brain be sent to
   Harvard Medical School for autopsy?
What if he were given the wrong medication?
What if in their understaffed lives, someone goofed?
What if the powers that be aren't giving all the facts?
What if you had all the money and pull to really get at the truth?

This leads me to ask:

Did you request a copy of his medical records?  And exactly what did the DC
indicate?  Have you spoken to
a veterans' spokesperson  or veterans' attorney about any of this?  Did you
have anyone on the legal side with you when all of this was transpiring.
Do you have any kind of paper trail to refer to regarding the loss of your
dad?  Can there  be a civil suit for wrongful death?

Maybe it's nothing, Johanna, but, if you can handle it, maybe there's one
more step to climb, one more door yet to open.

In light of Agent Orange and Viet Namers on the streets and the traumas
resulting from the Gulf War my faith and trust in the Government of the
country I most love is truly questionable.

In friendship and caring,
E of the headdress