(Cross-posted - feel free to copy or link to this info)
Ahem!

I'll NEVER forget a few years back losing a round of Jeopardy to a good
friend when I couldn't name the Surgeon General!

That's a highly politically influential position that all of us should
know. Pending Senate approval, get familiar with these men named by Pres.
Bush: Dr  Richard Carmona, an Arizonia trauma surgeon, for Surgeon General;
and Dr. Elias Zerhouni (better learn where those accents go!) to be the new
NIH (National Institutes of Health) Director.  Dr, Zerhouni is an
administrator at Johns-Hopkins.

Why should we know these guys?  Well, the Surgeon General sets the tone for
the medical and health arena as the nation's highest ranking physician.
But the NIH Director has really big shoes to fill! Quoting from MSN Health,
"The NIH has struggled in the two years without a director since the
departure of Harold Varmus, with several top researchers leaving. Six
institutes of the NIH institutes need new directors, positions that are
expected to be filled once the top job is settled."
( http://www.msnbc.com/news/729721.asp )

The NIND (Nat'l Institute of Neurological Disorders) is one of those
unfilled positions. The NIH Director also has to figure out how to
administer more than $20 billion in grants and assure new discoveries get
to patients pronto!

Like it or not, politics has EVERYTHING to do with finding a cure for our
diseases (and I mean ALL neurological illnesses here).  As my good friend,
Chy (thanks for the spelling lesson!  lol) kept repeating in his theme of
his Parky-Thon fund-raiser, "Discover something for one disease, and the
domino effect will begin!", meaning one discovery will lead to better
treatments and possibly cures for many illnesses.

Yes, I've turned into a political monster - yet, I want to turn all of you
readers into monsters, too.  Who can tell how horrible it is to live with
our diseases than we???  Answer:  No one!!!

I hope you don't mind me keeping you posted.  Find out about these guys -
Dr  Zerhouni is a former radiologist and quite a research scientist.  Our
future lies in the hands of such positions. What will these newbies be
listening for when/if they assume office?  None other than the squeaky
wheel of course! Make your voices heard!

Peggy Willocks

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/