Dear Bill and Ira,

         I generally support resolutions like this.  But I am not sure I
totally understand the first recommendation.

         Recommendations 2 & 3 seem straightforward and are easy for me to
support.

         I am confused by the assertion that ALL positions are to be
"declared" full-time jobs.  Aside from the apparent logical conflictI am
confused by "declared," am not sure what "declared full time" means (and
who is supposed to make this declaration).  Presumably something different
than all positions are to be full time'.  Or perhaps not, in which case I
would like to see a less ambiguous wording--or to have the situated
significance of "declared" explained to me.

         I am further confused when I juxtapose #3 ["No writing program or
department can have more than 10% of its staff in part-time positions"]
with #1, for ALL [100%] + 10% = 110%.

         Probably the problem is merely I don't know enough about the
relevant political situation in 4Cs and the USA.

         Please clarify.

         Thank you,

In solidarity,
Rick