This is really out of my field, Philippa, but a number of pilot studies
done by Chinese students are reported in my _Toward a Grammar of
Passages_.  Southern Illinois Press (Studies in Writing and
Rhetoric).  There is also an MA thesis by Sun-I Chen in the Simon Fraser
University Library.  (And Yaying's dissertation, which by all early
indications should be quite wonderful and useful, but it isn't finished
yet.)  It might be worth checking the _ESP_ journal.

Rick