Philippa,

I've just come across the following reference cited in my Japanese
graduate student's essay on differences in Japanese and North American
writing styles:

Shen, F. (1989). The classroom and the wider culture: identity as a key
to learning English composition. College composition and communication,
40, 459-466.

It appears to be relevant to your question.

> Hi Natasha,

Thanks for your helpful and speedy response to my request.  I am
familiar with an earlier book by Johns, but not this collection
so I will definitely check it out.

The kids are great - busy, busy, and lots of fun!

Take care, see you next month

Philippa

>>> Natasha Artemeva <[log in to unmask]> 04/26/02 11:55AM

Hi Philippa,

How are the kids?

Your student may find it interesting to take a look at

Johns, Ann (Ed.) (2002). Genre in the Classroom: Multiple
Perspectives.
Mahwah, NJ: Earlbaum.

This eclectic collection provides VERY different views on writing
produced by non-native speakers of English in various academic
settings.

Hope to see you in Toronto.

Natasha

Philippa Spoel wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a grad student who is undertaking a small research
project on "The problems that intenational students encounter in
communicating effectively in a North-American post-secondary
educational system."  He himself is Chinese and he will be
interviewing a few other international students at our university
about the communication problems they have faced and strategies
they have used in their academic work here.

> This project is being completed as part of a course on writing
in the disciplines, in which we have looked a lot at issues about
communciating effectively across and within disciplines in a
general way, but not specifically in relation to international
and/or second (or third or fourth . . .) language students.

> Can anybody recommend articles or books that address, either in
practical or theoretical terms, this dimension of academic
enculturation?

--
_____________________________________
Natasha Artemeva

School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6