Philippa and Yaying --

Good question! and a useful list. I've put down a few more pieces below, in
some cases different pieces by the same authors. Many are longitudinal
ethnographic studies.

Margaret

Leki, Ilona and Joan Carson. "‘Completely Different Worlds': EAP and the
Writing Experiences of ESL Students in University Courses. TESOL Quarterly
31:1 (Spring 1997), 39-69.

Leki, Ilona. "Coping Strategies of ESL Students in Writing Tasks Across the
Curriculum." TESOL Quarterly 29 (2) (1995): 235-260.

Spack, Ruth. "The Acquisition of Academic Literacy in a Second Language: A
Longitudinal Case Study."  Written Communication 14 (1) (1997): 3-62.

Sternglass, Marilyn. Time to Know Them: A Longitudinal Study of Writing and
Learning at the College Level. Erlbaum, 1997 (about non-traditional
students at City University of New York -- post-Shaughnessy).

Swan, Michael and Bernard Smith, eds. Learner English: A Teacher's Guide to
Interference and Other Problems. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
1987 (useful handbook on a good range of linguistic issues for 18 or so
different groups).

Tucker, Amy. Decoding ESL: International Students in the American College
Classroom. Portsmouth, NH:  Boynton/Cook/Heinemann, 1995 (more longitudinal
studies).