Dopamine transporter brain imaging to assess the effects of pramipexole vs
levodopa on Parkinson disease progression.

CONTEXT: Pramipexole and levodopa are effective medications to treat motor
symptoms of early Parkinson disease (PD).

In vitro and animal studies suggest that pramipexole may protect and that
levodopa may either protect or damage dopamine neurons.

[ed: my impression from reading the earlier literature is that while
levodopa can be toxic in vitro, it is not toxic in vivo; and that this has
been proven conclusively; in fact the theory is now being evaluated that
levodopa may be neuroprotective]

Neuroimaging offers the potential of an objective biomarker of dopamine
neuron degeneration in PD patients.

OBJECTIVE: To compare rates of dopamine neuron degeneration after initial
treatment with pramipexole or levodopa in early PD by means of dopamine
transporter imaging using single-photon emission computed tomography
(SPECT) with 2beta-carboxymethoxy-3beta(4-iodophenyl)tropane (beta-CIT)
labeled with iodine 123.

DESIGN: Substudy of a parallel-group, double-blind randomized clinical trial.

SETTING AND PATIENTS: 82 patients with early PD who were recruited at 17
clinical sites in the United States and Canada and required dopaminergic
therapy to treat emerging disability, enrolled between November 1996 and
August 1997.

INTERVENTIONS: Patients were randomly assigned to receive pramipexole, 0.5
mg 3 times per day with levodopa placebo (n = 42), or carbidopa/levodopa,
25/100 mg 3 times per day with pramipexole placebo
(n = 40).

For patients with residual disability, the dosage was escalated during the
first 10 weeks, and subsequently, open-label levodopa could be added.

After 24 months of follow-up, the dosage of study drug could be further
modified.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: The primary outcome variable was the percentage
change from baseline
in striatal [(123)I]beta-CIT uptake after 46 months.

The percentage changes and absolute changes in striatal, putamen, and
caudate [(123)I]beta-CIT
uptake after 22 and 34 months were also assessed.

Clinical severity of PD was assessed using the Unified Parkinson Disease
Rating Scale (UPDRS) 12 hours off anti-PD medications.

RESULTS: Sequential SPECT imaging showed a decline in mean (SD)
[(123)I]beta-CIT striatal uptake from baseline of :
10.3% (9.8%) at 22 months,
15.3% (12.8%) at 34 months, and
20.7% (14.4%) at 46 months
-
approximately 5.2% per year.

The mean (SD) percentage loss in striatal [(123)I]beta-CIT uptake from
baseline was significantly reduced in the pramipexole group compared with
the levodopa group:
7.1% (9.0%) vs 13.5% (9.6%) at 22 months (P =.004);
10.9% (11.8%) vs 19.6% (12.4%) at 34 months (P =.009); and
16.0% (13.3%) vs 25.5% (14.1%) at 46 months (P =.01).

The percentage loss from baseline in striatal [(123)I]beta-CIT uptake was
correlated with the change from baseline in UPDRS at the 46-month
evaluation (r = - 0.40; P =.001).

CONCLUSIONS: Patients initially treated with pramipexole demonstrated a
reduction in loss of striatal [(123)I]beta-CIT uptake, a marker of dopamine
neuron degeneration, compared with
those initially treated with levodopa, during a 46-month period.

These imaging data highlight the need to further compare imaging and
clinical end points of PD
progression in long-term studies.

[ed: this conclusion says nothing definitive about pramipexole, inmho. it
simply says we need to find a better way of measuring these things]

JAMA  2002 Apr 3;287(13):1653-61
Parkinson Study Group;
Marek K, Seibyl J, Shoulson I, Holloway R, Kieburtz K, McDermott M,
Kamp C, Shinaman A, Fahn S, Lang A, Weiner W, Welsh M
CALM-PD-CIT, The Institute for Neurodegenerative Disorders, New Haven, CT
06510, USA
PMID: 11926889
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list
_uids=11926889&dopt=Abstract

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/