On behalf of my friend and fellow advocate, Greg Wasson, I have posted
the following, which I whole heartedly endorse.  Hope to meet some of you
there!
Charlotte Mancuso
--------------------------------
Dear Listserve Members,

As many of you may know, the Parkinson's Action Network will be holding
its 8th annual Public Policy Forum May 19 -- 21 this year. As the premier
educational program for Parkinson's advocates, the Forum brings together
Parkinson's advocates from across the country and empowers them to take
an active role in helping to find a cure for this devastating disease.

This year's Forum will focus heavily on advocate training to help
participants train, recruit and organize new advocates in their home
communities. The event will include interactive sessions with officials
from NIH and other agencies, workshops about the legislative process and
building a local grassroots network, as well as role playing exercises
and other training on how to interact with congressional officials and
make the best case for the Parkinson's agenda. In addition, leading
Parkinson's researchers will participate in a scientific briefing on the
state of Parkinson's research and the latest breakthroughs. On the final
day, advocates will meet with their Members of Congress. The Forum is an
invaluable tool that unites the community with one voice in our common
goal -- finding a cure for Parkinson's!

As one who attended the Forum in 2000, I know I came away with more
knowledge, energy, and the determination to beat this illness than I
could have imagined. Also, this is a special year for those who might
like to attend the forum but find that the cost of registration, travel
and accommodations is prohibitive. Thanks to an anonymous donor, an
unusually large scholarship fund is available to those who need financial
help to defray the cost of attendance.

I urge anyone interested in attending issues Public Policy Forum to
contact the Parkinson's Action Network at - [log in to unmask] or
call- (703) 518-8877, or (800) 850-4726.
If you are looking for a traveling companion or roommate for the Forum,
or would just like to speak with someone who has attended in the past,
please log onto PAN's new Discussion Board to chat with fellow advocates!
The new website is located at www.parkinsonsaction.org . Registration
forms can also be downloaded at the website.

Hope to see you there,

Greg Wasson - CA State Coordinator

Parkinson's Action Network Grassroots Advocacy Program