Dear Jorge,
After reading your post in regard to mirapex and it's effectiveness or
(ineffectiveness) in neuroprotection, I am prompted to respond.  It seems
that the report of the studies done in this area have been highly promoted
and would lead to a general acceptance of the effectiveness of this drug
(mirapex) as a neuroprotectant.  Of course, with this perception, the sales
of this drug will undoubtedly increase dramatically.
Since this study was carried out by the drug company which manufactures and
sells the drug in question, it leads to doubts as to it's unbiased
conclusions.  I have read the published report on the study and the wording
sounds vague and less than conclusive.  I feel that it would be a travesty,
if in fact it could be true, that the drug companies who are selling drugs to
those who are so desperate for the glimmer of a hope could stoop to the level
of promising something that is less than authentic.
 I take Requip now and am doing so because I was told that it will treat my
symptoms and enable me to delay taking leva-dopa.  I made this decision based
upon my doctor's recommendation, my reliance on his informed medical opinion
and the belief in his genuine concern for me that he would advise the best
treatment possible for my disorder. To think that drug companies would
perform otherwise just to boost their sales to become even richer is not
acceptable.  Now the question is: how is the legitimacy of this finding
proved or disproved.
Dee