FROM:   Toronto Star
April 10, 2002 Wednesday Ontario Edition
SECTION: NEWS; Pg. A14

HEADLINE: Scientists urge caution in stem cell case
BYLINE: Vanessa Lu, Toronto Star
HIGHLIGHT:
Parkinson's study involved only a single patient

Dennis Turner says he was willing to try anything after being diagnosed
with
Parkinson's disease a decade ago.

   The 59-year-old California man is believed to be the first person
injected
with his own re-engineered stem cells to reduce the symptoms of the
degenerative
neurological disease.

   His case made headlines yesterday after researchers announced the
preliminary
findings at a conference in Chicago this week.

   However, scientists in Canada quickly cautioned Parkinson's patients
and
their families not to raise their hopes, given that the study involved
only one
patient.

   "I'm very skeptical," said Dr. Anthony Lang, who is director of the
movement
disorders unit at Toronto Western Hospital. "I'm concerned that the
information
we have is misleading. I'm concerned this is driven by a company and that
the
science is being withheld."

   Dr. Alan Bernstein, president of the Canadian Institutes for Health
Research,
also said it is too soon to say whether stem cells work in treating
Parkinson's
disease.

   "It's even too early to say it's promising," Bernstein said.

   Turner, a nuclear reactor engineer and pilot, was first diagnosed with
disease after a tremor emerged in his right hand. It eventually worsened
so
Turner found it difficult to write or put in contact lenses.

   He was referred to Dr. Michel Levesque, a neurosurgeon at Cedars-Sinai
Medical Center in Los Angeles.

   Levesque, who trained in Montreal, is also vice-president, medical
affairs,
for Celmed Biosciences, which first issued a news release touting the
research.
Celmed is a subsidiary of Theratechnologies, a Canadian biotechnology
firm.

   Levesque removed cells from Turner's brain in a 1998 biopsy. The cells
were
then manipulated in the lab for several months until they reached a
mature stage
and were producing dopamine, the chemical that is missing or reduced in
Parkinson's patients.

   In all, about 6 million cells were implanted into the left side of
Turner's
brain in six areas, which control his dominant right side, in March,
1999.

   "I was wide awake through it," Turner said in an interview yesterday
from his
home in San Clemente. "It's like sitting in a dentist's chair. They use
local
anesthetic and start drilling.

   "I took a chance. I thought it might work, it might not, but at least
something would be learned (from it)."

   Three months later, tests indicated that more dopamine was being
produced and
Turner's symptoms began to subside, Levesque said in an interview
yesterday.

   Formal publication of the study's results is expected soon in a
peer-reviewed
scientific journal, he added.

   However, a year after the surgery, the surge in dopamine levels had
fallen,
but Turner still continued to show signs of improving clinically, he
said.

   "This suggests there are other mechanisms beyond the dopamine process
that
benefited this patient," Levesque said, adding further research is
planned.

   Previous research was funded by a private Parkinson's foundation, but
Celmed
will fund future trials.

   Because Turner had surgery only on one side of his brain, he still
takes
medication to control his left side.

   When Turner learned he had Parkinson's disease, he decided it was time
make sure he got to do all the things he dreamed of.

   "I had to move up my schedule," he said. He took an early retirement
package
and now travels regularly to the South Pacific to go scuba diving and to
Africa
to photograph animals.

   Lang, who also holds a chair in Parkinson's disease research at the
University of Toronto, urges people not get ahead of the research.

   "This is not an appropriate presentation. We have a study on a single
individual ... and researchers are claiming wondrous effect," Lang said,
adding
the placebo effect can influence patients and physicians, who both want
to see
benefits.

   "My life is spent dealing with this human misery of Parkinson's," he
said. "I
don't want to see patients misled. I would love to be proven wrong.

   Turner dismisses suggestions the stem cells are not the reason he has
improved. He knows that he has better control of his right hand today.

   Before the surgery, Turner said it took 20 minutes to put in contact
lenses.
Now it only takes two minutes.

   Turner said the surgery isn't a miracle cure since he still has
shaking in
his right hand, especially when he's nervous or excited.

   "I imagine there will always be skeptics. Maybe I'm one of the lucky
ones."